New Orleans by Night
Players use downtime actions to define their characters’ night-to-night activities. It is for those items that require recordkeeping but offer exceptionally dull roleplaying opportunities.
All characters have 3 downtime actions for each period of time between Scenes.
Sample downtime actions:
• Crafting: The player spends a downtime action and uses her character’s Crafts skill to design, build, or repair an item in the character’s possession.
Vampires with the Craft skill may expend two downtime actions to increase their Resources background for the next Scene 1:1
• Feeding: Finding safe ways to drink the blood of mortals is often time-consuming; to reflect this you must spend 1 downtime action between each session feeding; doubled if you are hunting in an unfamiliar area and doubled if you have a flaw that increases your difficulty to feed. If you fail to spend the required actions feeding, you enter the game at half your normal Blood pool (round up).
Vampires with the Herd background offset the increased downtime for flaws 1:1
Vampires with a Performance skill get a bonus Feeding action
Vampires with a Performance skill may expend two downtime actions to increase their Fame background for the next Scene 1:1
• Investigation: A player may use 1 downtime action to investigate potential leads, enemies, or strange occurrences, or to cancel someone else’s investigation action.
Vampires with the Computer skill get a bonus Investigation action
Vampires with the Science skill get a bonus Investigation action
Vampires with the Medicine skill get a bonus Investigation action
• Patrolling: Spending a downtime action to patrol your territory, looking for interlopers, doubles their difficulty of feeding.
Vampires with the Security skill get a bonus Patrolling Action
• Beyond your Means: If you don’t have sufficient dots in the Resources background and want to acquire an item you need to spend downtime actions to obtain that item.
• Incurring Debt: If you don’t have time to do something you can always incur a Boon if you have an appropriate Influence.